Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Family Recipe Makeover: Tortellini Soup

This recipe has been one we have been eating for years, a family favorite for fall. However, when I decided to start eating healthier, this recipe got put in the back of my recipe file to collect dust. I recently pulled it out and revamped it, so we could enjoy it and be healthier.

1 lb of lean ground turkey sausage

1 onion, chopped

2-3 cloves garlic (depending on preferences)

1/2 lb mushrooms, sliced

2 zucchini, sliced

2 carrots, sliced

2-3 stalks celery, sliced

1 cup water

24 oz low sodium chicken broth

1 tsp basil

1 tsp oregano

8 oz tomato sauce

15 oz stewed tomatoes

1 pkg of tortellini of your choice

Brown sausage in skillet with onion. Combine all ingredients except tortellini. Slow cook on stove for 3-4 hours. Add tortellini and cook another hour or so.

Note: I double all ingredients except tortellini because we prefer it that way.

Also, I can't eat pasta anymore, so I pulled soup out for me before that stage. I then added quinoa to mine (as pictured).

No comments:

Post a Comment