Total Time: 18 min.
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cooking Time: 8 min.
Yield: 8 servings, 1 slice each
Ingredients for Pizza Dough:
¼ oz. active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (100 – 110° F.)
2 tsp. sugar
3 – 3¼ cups whole wheat flour, divided use
½ tsp. fine sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
2 tsp. olive oil, divided use
Nonstick cooking spray
Ingredients for Pizza:
1½ cups fresh roasted (or canned) pumpkin puree
¾ tsp. curry powder
2 Tbsp. low-sodium organic vegetable (or chicken) broth
1 tsp. olive oil
2 cups chopped kale, stems removed
1 medium red onion, chopped, caramelized (see tips)
¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
For Pizza Dough:
1. Place yeast, water, and sugar in a medium bowl. Let stand for 10 minutes, or until yeast becomes foamy.
2. Combine 3 cups flour and salt in a small bowl. Gradually add flour mixture to yeast mixture. Mix with clean hands until mixture does not stick to your hands. Add additional flour if needed. Roll dough into a ball. Brush with ½ tsp. oil. Place in a bowl; cover with a towel. Let rise for 2 hours.
3. Punch down dough to remove air; knead and roll into a ball. Brush with ½ tsp. oil. Place in a bowl; cover with a towel. Let rise for an additional 2 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 450° F.
5. Roll dough until it will no longer stretch. Let rest for 5 minutes. Continue to roll until it reaches your desired diameter, about 10 to 12-inches, and about ½-inch thick. Place on baking pan lightly coated with spray.
6. Brush with remaining 1 tsp. oil.
1. While pizza dough is resting, combine pumpkin, curry powder, and broth in a medium bowl; mix well. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Add kale; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until kale softens. Set aside.
4. Spread pizza dough evenly with pumpkin mixture, stopping ½-inch from edge.
5. Top evenly with kale and onion.
6. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until crust is golden.
7. Top with cheese.
Tip: You can make fresh roasted pumpkin puree by cutting a pumpkin in half and placing it on a baking pan. Drizzle it with ½ tsp. olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Bake at 350° F. for 35 to 40 minutes. If using fresh pumpkin puree, increase vegetable broth to 4 Tbsp. To caramelize onion, heat 1 tsp. olive oil in medium nonstick skillet. Add 1 chopped onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes. Once onions begin to brown reduce heat to low. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes, or until onions are brown.
Go to the beachbody blog for more fabulous recipes!